Wednesday 22 November 2006

from inside to outside to inside to outside

I am still thinking very much about what happened at the recent UMNO General Assembly. I do not like the thoughts of what will become the 'tanah tumpahnya darahku'(literally means, land upon which my blood is shed).The lingering question in my mind- 'what happened?' What has been happening in the lives of our leaders? How have they gotten to where they are now? Have they come to a irreversible state, in terms of the important principles in life and to service? 3 possible reasons we may consider-
1. Lack of self-examination
2. Lack of accountability amongst the leaders and with regards to others, especially those whom they are accountable to.
3. Lack of "Kepercayaan Kepada Tuhan"(fear and belief in God)(?)

I guess it is always easy to see and critique others. It could have been me. I remind myself that my day to day decisions have and will be the character building blocks in my life, of which i cannot neglect and pay no heed to.
I need others in the community to hold me accountable and vice versa. As a member of the community, i am beginning to see the indispensable responsibility on my part to hold my leaders accountable in a constructive fashion. Francis Fukuyama writes of how responses from the community form the norms in a society in his book, 'The Great Disruption'.There is a complex and dynamic interplay between an individual's and collective decisions which will form the character of the society and members therein. Richard Niebuhr (The Responsible Self) writes of the "Responsible Ethics" wherein members of a certain context need to continually ask the question 'what is going on' in order that they be responsibly interacting with the situation at hand with a goal of arriving at a decision which would be for the common good. Might we need to begin doing that at different levels and platforms within the mosaic of our community/society?

No comments: