Friday 17 November 2006

in the beginning

Life is filled with choices and decisions.
While in the supermarket, my friend exclaimed that there are simply too many choices before us - which brand of toothpaste to pick? In hawker centres, I have walked from one end to the other, wondering what I should eat for dinner.
Some decisions are more significant than others; some have greater implications than others.
Decisions matter. Much that we like to think that our decisions are private matters or individual preference, we soon realise that it is not. When my friend chose the more branded toothpaste, beside money matters, it also meant that she had contributed to the profit the toothpaste company is making. If she has other commitment, her decision would have some small implications on her budget and therefore the discharge of her commitment. Perhaps I have exaggerated but...imagine the example in a macro scenario.

So I begin, just like I took the many first steps in my life and now, to blog. I do not know how this blog will turn out but I look forward in anticipation. I hope to put in concrete terms some of my mind-rumblings over the choices and decisions we make day after day, wanting to remember that the moral and ethical concerns I/we can (and ought to) reason over- why? Because I live in a community... My decisions bear upon the community of humankind- my constant question is- how does my decision bear upon the community?

No comments: